Plastic surgery for men is not fresh news. Although the world of plastic surgery was first dominated by women, recent years have changed the male’s views on reconstructive and cosmetic surgeries.
The market for male’s plastic surgery has rapidly grown and more men are enjoying various benefits from a tummy tuck, breast reduction, facial, calf or pectoral implants, hair removal, penile enhancement, liposuction and other plastic surgery procedures.
Benefits of Plastic Surgery for men
In general, the benefits of plastic surgery on both male and female extends beyond external improvements. It can help develop one’s personality by enabling them to interact socially without thinking of how they might look to others.
Plastic surgery for men provides a more balanced or proportional feature of the face, abdomen, breasts, calves, penis or other features by sculpting the body in a natural-looking manner.
Male plastic surgery can provide a more youthful contour and look by enhancing or altering the physical appearance of the patient.
Plastic surgery for men can also benefit patients with conditions caused birth defects or deformities, injuries and diseases. Constructive surgery may help correct these deformities, allowing the patients to live a normal life.
Most Common Types of Plastic Surgery for men
Almost all plastic surgery procedures, whether cosmetic or constructive, can be performed on men.
However, the most commonly done procedures are breast reduction, calf or pectoral implants, facial implants, hair replacement, hair removal, liposuction and penile enhancement. Below is a brief explanation of each procedure describing how each surgery is done, side effects, risks and costs of treatment.
1) Breast reduction – this procedure is commonly used to treat a condition associated with abnormally large breasts (gynecomastia). It is performed through liposuction or by removing or cutting the excess breast tissue.
Side effects associated with male breast reduction may include bruising, swelling, soreness, numbness and burning sensation. It can yield serious risks such as infection, excessive scarring, pigmentation and permanent loss of nipple sensation. This kind of plastic surgery for men may range from $2,500 to $4,000, depending on the complexity of condition.
2) Calf and pectoral implants – this procedure is more commonly used as a plastic surgery for men. The goal of this surgery is to increase the bulk of the calves and chest by using implants.
This plastic surgery for men is associated with potential side effects such as implant shifting, numbness, scarring, infections and changes in muscle asymmetry. The cost of calf implants is about $6,000, while pectoral implants may range from $5,000 to $7,000.
3) Facial implants – this procedure, which is both a reconstructive and cosmetic procedure, can give men a more masculine appearance and balanced proportions through a face lift, nose job, forehead lift and implants of the chin, cheeks and jaw.
Possible side effects and risks of facial implants for men include nausea, swelling, bruising, scarring, prolonged discomfort, nerve damage, infection, facial asymmetry, numbness and hematoma. This plastic surgery for men may depend on which facial feature will be altered. The cost of facial implants can range from $2,000 to $6,000, excluding expenses associated with the procedure.
4) Hair replacement – this procedure can be done by using several techniques such as medical hair loss treatments, hair transplantation and non-surgical methods of hair restoration.
Complications of hair replacement for men may include hemorrhage, discomfort, lidocaine toxicity, infection, scarring, unnatural hairline and poor hair growth. Depending on the number of grafts needed, a hair replacement surgery may cost $3,000 and up.
5) Hair removal – this procedure can be performed by using laser surgery wherein unwanted hair in any part of the body can be reduced or permanently removed.
Side effects associated with hair removal treatments include swelling, redness, pain, blisters, scarring and skin discoloration. This plastic surgery for men may range from $300 to $800 depending on geographic location and plastic surgery facility.
6) Liposuction (and tummy tuck) – A liposuction reduces the bulging love handles, stomach and excessively fat areas of men. However, a tummy tuck can be combined to remove the loose skin after weight loss or a liposuction procedure.
This plastic surgery for men may bring side effects such as skin loss, blood clots, infection, swelling, numbness, bruising, and skin irregularities. The cost of liposuction greatly varies depending on how many areas are treated. One area costs around $2,500 to $4,500, while five areas may cost up to $8,000 to $10,000.
7) Penile enhancement (Phalloplasty) – this procedure can be surgically or non-surgically performed to enlarge and enhance the male sexual organ.
The side effects of penile enhancement are largely similar to circumcision, which includes scarring, infection, skin loss and irritation, numbness, bleeding and loss of penile function. This plastic surgery particularly for men may cost around $5,500 to $10,000, depending on individual condition and preferences.