Plastic surgery is a medical specialty that focuses on the reconstruction, repair, or alteration of the human body. It can be performed for cosmetic reasons, to improve physical appearance and self-esteem, or to repair or correct functional impairments caused by accidents, injuries, or congenital defects. Plastic surgery procedures can be divided into two main categories: reconstructive surgery and cosmetic surgery.
Reconstructive surgery is a type of plastic surgery that is performed to repair or correct physical abnormalities or functional impairments caused by accidents, injuries, burns, congenital defects, or diseases. Examples of reconstructive surgery include breast reconstruction after mastectomy, cleft lip and palate repair, and burn repair surgery.
Cosmetic surgery is a type of plastic surgery that is performed to improve physical appearance and self-esteem. It is elective surgery and is not medically necessary. Examples of cosmetic surgery include facelift, breast augmentation, liposuction, and tummy tuck.
Within these two main categories, there are many specific types of plastic surgery procedures. Some of the most common procedures are:
- Facelift: A facelift, also known as a rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that is performed to improve the appearance of the face by removing excess skin and tightening the underlying muscles.
- Breast augmentation: Breast augmentation, also known as breast implant surgery, is a procedure that is performed to increase the size and fullness of the breasts.
- Liposuction: Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty, is a procedure that is performed to remove excess fat from specific areas of the body, such as the thighs, buttocks, stomach, and arms.
- Tummy tuck: A tummy tuck, also known as an abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove excess skin and fat from the abdomen and tighten the underlying muscles.
- Rhinoplasty: Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job, is a surgical procedure that is performed to alter the shape and size of the nose.
- Blepharoplasty: Blepharoplasty, also known as an eyelid lift, is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove excess skin and fat from the upper and lower eyelids.
- Lip augmentation: Lip augmentation is a procedure that is performed to enhance the fullness and shape of the lips.
- Otoplasty: Otoplasty, also known as ear surgery, is a procedure that is performed to alter the shape and position of the ears.
Plastic surgery is a complex and specialized field that requires extensive training and experience. It is important to carefully research and choose a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon to ensure the best possible outcome.